Monday, 27 January 2014

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey. The feature allows us to share the books we are currently reading with others. These posts are a good way to discover new books, and be a bit nosy really!

This week I'm doing something slightly out of my comfort zone, and that's reading two books at once. Why you may ask? Well, I have two Charles Dickens novels sitting on my unread shelf currently and every time I pick them up and consider reading them, I'm filled with intimidation. The books I have are Oliver Twist and Great Expectations - so both are chunksters! Whilst reading a blog post on Pretty Books, a tip was given in the comments section for when it comes to reading Dickens. As Dickens, and many lengthy classic novels, were originally published serially it is easier to read them alongside another novel. So read a few chapters, go on to your other novel, come back to the classic, repeat - it's pretty simple when you think about it really, and makes a lot of sense seen as they weren't written to be consumed in a short space of time. I'll let you know how it works out for me!

Of the two Dickens novels, I've opted to start with Oliver Twist.
 
 
Alongside my chunky classic I've chosen to read...
 
 
The Shock of the Fall is Nathan Filer's debut novel and has received a lot of praise and recognition. Due to the subject matter of this novel - mental illness - I feel like this is likely to be a heavy read. If you're in the US, The Shock of the Fall is marketed under a different title, Where The Moon Isn't.
 
Have you read either of these novels? If so, how was your reading experience? Also, what book are you currently reading? Be sure to let me know in the comments below!
 
Thanks for stopping by Bits & Bobs :-)

16 comments:

  1. That is one of the best reasons I've ever heard of for reading two books at once! Having more than one book going at once is something I usually struggle with -- I can typically only do it if the books are very different, and preferably if one is in print and one is audio.

    I knew somewhere in the back of my mind that a lot of Dickens was originally serialized, but it didn't really translate into adjusting my modern day reading habits in order to better enjoy particular books. I've been doing this with short story and poetry collections -- which also were not really written to be read all in one go, and it works quite well, so I can see the appeal of this approach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to reading, like you, I'm generally a one book kind of girl. Mostly because it can get confusing reading multiple reads, or so I've found, and also because I do read at a relatively slow pace so it would take double the time for me to complete a book. I'm giving it a try because of the Dickens novel, if it works out I may well do this more often when it comes to longer classics.
      :-)

      Delete
  2. Interesting idea! I read Great Expectations as a stand alone (and loved it) but I can see how you might be able to just kind of pop in and out and enjoy it more. Hope you enjoy Oliver Twist...that is still sitting on my shelf unread :( Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too when I read this little trick, it makes a lot of sense when you think about it really. It's early days on trying this method out and it does seem to be 'easier'.
      I find classics tend to sit on my shelves a bit longer than any other book.
      And you!
      :-)

      Delete
  3. Enjoy your books! I am intimidated by Dickens as well - perhaps I will give it a go the way you suggested! It makes perfect sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! Classics can be intimidating in general, however Dickens seems to be the scariest to me - odd really considering he does have a pretty easy flow to follow.
      :-)

      Delete
  4. I'm a pretty monogamous reader, so I can see why this would be weird for you. Hopefully that makes Dickens less intimidating! I've read Great Expectations (assigned in both high school and college, which is probably why it's on my list of books-I-don't-really-like). I've yet to give Oliver Twist a try, though. I hope your method makes reading both books enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always tend to dislike books we were assigned for educational purposes. I have heard a few people find that when they've reread said books that were for studies before they enjoyed the experience more.
      :-)

      Delete
  5. I hope the idea works for you. I have read Great Expectations and Oliver Twists - both back when I was in high school, I could never make it through The Pickwick Papers though
    Have a great week!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd OUt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully with this little trick up my sleeve I can make it through the two Dickens novels sitting on my shelves - and more! Who knows?!
      And to you!
      :-)

      Delete
  6. I haven't read Oliver Twist. I did read Great Expectations (in high school or college...I can't remember).

    I always find it so interesting when books are given different titles or very different marketing in different countries. Are we really that different?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always been curious about that too. It's interesting though because I actually prefer the synopsis, cover art etc of the UK edition as opposed to the US. Perhaps we're more different than we think...
      :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm intrigued with the idea of reading Dickens in small chunks. That makes perfect sense.

    And now I'm off to see if I can find out more about Where the Moon Isn't (as it is called here). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make perfect sense, although I would never thought of it myself.
      The Shock of the Fall / Where the Moon Isn't is proving to a pretty good read thus far.
      :-)

      Delete
  8. That sounds like an excellent plan when reading chunky books! I should try it with a few of mine that have been in the TBR pile forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed the chunky ones always seem to sit on my shelf that little bit longer.
      :-)

      Delete